Introduction to the OpenMRS project.
|After successfully completing this activity, the learner should be able to:
OpenMRS is a Humanitarian Free Open Source Software (HFOSS) project. In this activity you will learn about the project and some of the technologies it uses.
- Watch “Open Architecture and Standards for Information Systems in Health” on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bwQPS1dFvE.
- Watch the Google Tech Talk on OpenMRS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tou-Ei_AKAw.
- about 18 minutes into the video, the speakers discuss a number of technologies used in OpenMRS. Make a list of these technologies.
- For each of the technologies, list the the main website, and provide a short description of what the technology does.
In a one-to-two page write-up, answer the following questions.
- In your own words (i.e. do not cut-and-paste from their website), describe the OpenMRS project.
- What do you expect to learn from working on this project? What do you see as the largest challenge?
- You likely had never heard of, much less used, the technologies listed in the Google Tech Talk video, and none of them (beyond Java) are in the required computer science curriculum. How do you see this effecting your ability to contribute to OpenMRS? How might you handle these gaps of knowledge?
- How will the activity be graded?
- How will learning will be measured?
- Include sample assessment questions/rubrics.
|Criteria||Level 1 (fail)||Level 2 (pass)||Level 3 (good)||Level 4 (exceptional)|
|The purpose of the project|
|Why the project is open source|
- What should the instructor know before using this activity?
- What are some likely difficulties that an instructor may encounter using this activity?
Area & Unit(s)
FIXME check that this license is appropriate
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Suggestions for Open Source Community
- Suggestions for an open source community member who is working in conjunction with the instructor.