Latest News from TeachingOpenSource
- Next POSSE to by Hosted by City University of New York October 30, 2018 The next POSSE will be in New York City in January 2019. This POSSE will be hosted by the City University of New York and attendees will primarily be City University faculty. Faculty at John Jay College have graciously agreed to provide meeting space and ...
- Trouble teaching Git? New tool to try! July 25, 2018 I discovered this interactive, online Git training tool: https://www.katacoda.com/courses/git and thought it might be of interest. The advantage (IMHO) is that students do not have to have anything other than a browser with an internet connection on their machine at all: no need for a CLI (or ...
- Sabine Wojcieszak’s Working in and with Free Open Source Software Course March 5, 2018 Sabine Wojcieszak, (Bologna POSSE July 2017), just published a blog post on her experiences offering a course tiled “Working in and with Free Open Source Software”. She describes her class and how she mastered being “productively lost”. Great job Sabine!! https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/being-productively-lost-experiment-teaching-open-tos-wojcieszak/
- Red Hat Honors Instructors Who Champion Open Source Education March 1, 2018 For the second year, Red Hat is honoring the work of higher education instructors who are committed to teaching the open source development process to their students. The majority of honorees are past participants in Professor’s Open Source Software Experience (POSSE). Launched by Red ...
- Next POSSE in Philly — applications open! February 20, 2018 The next POSSE workshop will be held June 18-20 at Drexel, in Philadelphia PA. For more info and application instructions: http://foss2serve.org/index.php/POSSE_2018-06. Applications are due April 6. SaveSave
- TOS Happenings at SIGCSE! February 17, 2018 If you’ll be at SIGSE, make sure to attend these Teaching Open Source-related sessions (use this quicklink while you’re there for easy reference: bit.ly/TOS-SIGCSE) Time: Thursday 10am Activity: Demo Session #1 Title: Teaching “Blinky Flashy”: Best Practices and Helpful Tips for Teaching eTextiles to a Wide Range of Students Location: Exhibit Hall Speaker(s): ...
- Jody Paul Teaches Software Engineering Practices February 4, 2018 Jody Paul (2017-11 POSSE alum) relates his experiences in the first two weeks of teaching 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices. We hope to hear more from Jody as the course progresses! “I’m the instructor for 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices, a senior experience/project course ...
- POSSE 2017-11 November 25, 2017 Another successful POSSE was held November 16-18, 2017 at Red Hat headquarters in Raleigh. Twelve new faculty members joined three POSSE alums (Josh Dehlinger, Robert Duvall, Howard Francis), four facilitators (Darci Burdge, Clif Kussmaul, Greg Hislop, and Heidi Ellis) and Gina Likins (of Red Hat’s University Outreach ...
- Hacktoberfest is on October 10, 2017 https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software in partnership with GitHub. Submit enough pull requests and get a special T-shirt. It may be a good way to encourage students to participate.
How open source in education creates new developers
by skuipers on November 7, 2018 at 8:00 am
Self-taught developer and new Gibbon maintainer explains why open source is integral to creating the next generation of coders. […]
How to use Pandoc to produce a research paper
by kikofernandez on October 19, 2018 at 7:02 am
Learn how to manage section references, figures, tables, and more in Markdown. […]
How to use Kolibri to access educational material offline
by Don Watkins on October 5, 2018 at 7:02 am
Kolibri makes digital educational materials available to students without internet access. […]
LibreOffice: A history of document freedom
by Don Watkins on September 25, 2018 at 7:01 am
The Document Foundation estimates 1,000 contributors are active on a weekly basis. […]
Create and publish video with open source Kaltura editor
by Don Watkins on September 13, 2018 at 7:01 am
Learn more about Kaltura for your video editing needs. […]