18/06/2018 - 20/06/2018
Drexel, Philadelphia PA
Latest News from TeachingOpenSource
- Sabine Wojcieszak’s Working in and with Free Open Source Software Course March 5, 2018 Sabine Wojcieszak, (Bologna POSSE July 2017), just published a blog post on her experiences offering a course tiled “Working in and with Free Open Source Software”. She describes her class and how she mastered being “productively lost”. Great job Sabine!! https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/being-productively-lost-experiment-teaching-open-tos-wojcieszak/
- Red Hat Honors Instructors Who Champion Open Source Education March 1, 2018 For the second year, Red Hat is honoring the work of higher education instructors who are committed to teaching the open source development process to their students. The majority of honorees are past participants in Professor’s Open Source Software Experience (POSSE). Launched by Red ...
- Next POSSE in Philly — applications open! February 20, 2018 The next POSSE workshop will be held June 18-20 at Drexel, in Philadelphia PA. For more info and application instructions: http://foss2serve.org/index.php/POSSE_2018-06. Applications are due April 6. SaveSave
- TOS Happenings at SIGCSE! February 17, 2018 If you’ll be at SIGSE, make sure to attend these Teaching Open Source-related sessions (use this quicklink while you’re there for easy reference: bit.ly/TOS-SIGCSE) Time: Thursday 10am Activity: Demo Session #1 Title: Teaching “Blinky Flashy”: Best Practices and Helpful Tips for Teaching eTextiles to a Wide Range of Students Location: Exhibit Hall Speaker(s): ...
- Jody Paul Teaches Software Engineering Practices February 4, 2018 Jody Paul (2017-11 POSSE alum) relates his experiences in the first two weeks of teaching 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices. We hope to hear more from Jody as the course progresses! “I’m the instructor for 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices, a senior experience/project course ...
- POSSE 2017-11 November 25, 2017 Another successful POSSE was held November 16-18, 2017 at Red Hat headquarters in Raleigh. Twelve new faculty members joined three POSSE alums (Josh Dehlinger, Robert Duvall, Howard Francis), four facilitators (Darci Burdge, Clif Kussmaul, Greg Hislop, and Heidi Ellis) and Gina Likins (of Red Hat’s University Outreach ...
- Hacktoberfest is on October 10, 2017 https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software in partnership with GitHub. Submit enough pull requests and get a special T-shirt. It may be a good way to encourage students to participate.
- Handy IRC cheatsheet September 28, 2017 Thanks to Opensource.com for their handy IRC Cheatsheet: opensourcedotcom-irc-cheatsheet
- TeachingOpenSource recognized in Educause article September 21, 2017 EDUCAUSE’s 7 Things You Should Know About …™ is a series of publications that address a diverse range of professional challenges in higher education IT, from updates on current developments to explorations of important overarching issues. In August of 2017, the organization offered insights in ...
- BOF on using Open Source for Diversity and Inclusion at Tapia September 19, 2017 Chris Murphy, Nanette Veilleux and Jan Pearce and Judy Weng (a graduate student at UPenn) will be leading a Birds of a Feather on “Addressing Diversity & Inclusion Issues in Computer Science through Contributions to Free and Open Source Software” at this week’s Tapia Celebration of Diversity ...
Publishers need to stop using insecure HTTP
by chartgerink on May 17, 2018 at 7:03 am
The https-checker project hopes to open a dialogue with some of the largest scholarly publishers. […]
Why it's important to get kids into public speaking
by admin on May 11, 2018 at 7:03 am
Conference presentations open a world of opportunities to advance your career, says 16-year-old veteran tech presenter Keila Banks in her UpSCALE Lightning […]
Top "open" thinkers gather to discuss what's next
by mjkrupnick on May 10, 2018 at 7:00 am
Washington D.C.-based incubator 1776 and Red Hat brought together some of the top thinkers and innovators for a "The Power of Open" panel. They are […]
Helping kids answer: What do you want to be when you grow up?
by admin on May 9, 2018 at 7:02 am
The statement by Cathy Davidson of the MacArthur Foundation that "65% of today's grade-school kids may end up doing work that hasn't been invented yet" has […]
CorvOS: A custom, Linux-based solution for the classroom
by charlie on May 1, 2018 at 7:04 am
Creator Aaron Prisk talks about his ready-to-go education distro for educators not familiar with Linux. […]