Latest News from TeachingOpenSource
- POSSE 2017-11 November 25, 2017 Another successful POSSE was held November 16-18, 2017 at Red Hat headquarters in Raleigh. Twelve new faculty members joined three POSSE alums (Josh Dehlinger, Robert Duvall, Howard Francis), four facilitators (Darci Burdge, Clif Kussmaul, Greg Hislop, and Heidi Ellis) and Gina Likins (of Red Hat’s University Outreach ...
- Hacktoberfest is on October 10, 2017 https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software in partnership with GitHub. Submit enough pull requests and get a special T-shirt. It may be a good way to encourage students to participate.
- Handy IRC cheatsheet September 28, 2017 Thanks to Opensource.com for their handy IRC Cheatsheet: opensourcedotcom-irc-cheatsheet
- TeachingOpenSource recognized in Educause article September 21, 2017 EDUCAUSE’s 7 Things You Should Know About …™ is a series of publications that address a diverse range of professional challenges in higher education IT, from updates on current developments to explorations of important overarching issues. In August of 2017, the organization offered insights in ...
- BOF on using Open Source for Diversity and Inclusion at Tapia September 19, 2017 Chris Murphy, Nanette Veilleux and Jan Pearce and Judy Weng (a graduate student at UPenn) will be leading a Birds of a Feather on “Addressing Diversity & Inclusion Issues in Computer Science through Contributions to Free and Open Source Software” at this week’s Tapia Celebration of Diversity ...
- Apply for POSSE (Raleigh, NC, Nov 16-18, 2017) August 8, 2017 Where: Red Hat offices, Raleigh, NC Would you like to support student involvement in humanitarian free and open source software (HFOSS)? Full-time faculty at U.S. institutions are invited to join us at the Professors’ Open Source Software Experience (POSSE) workshop. Over 100 faculty members have attended the workshop ...
- Wrap-up of POSSE in Italy from Google August 8, 2017 Google showcased their involvement with POSSE in a recent post on the opensource.googleblog.com blog: This year Google was proud to not only host a workshop at our San Francisco office in April, but also to collaborate with the organizers to bring a POSSE workshop to Europe for ...
- POSSE in Italy a success! July 11, 2017 Gustavo Pinto, a participant in the recently completed POSSE held in Bologna, Italy, has written up a great experience report about the workshop. SaveSave SaveSave
- TeachingOpenSource joins the Software Freedom Conservancy June 15, 2017 Software Freedom Conservancy is proud to announce that TeachingOpenSource has joined Conservancy as a member project. TeachingOpenSource (TOS) is a community of educators, developers, and organizations who create resources and document best practices for teaching free and open source software development, principles, and methods in ...
- Live Coding – every Wednesday! May 18, 2017 We’ve heard that it might be useful for students to be able to watch someone live code — well, guess what?! We’ve found someone at Mozilla is doing it — every Wednesday at 1pm Eastern! Find the list of upcoming topics here, and check out ...
Why isn't open source hot among computer science students?
by susiechoi on January 10, 2018 at 8:00 am
High school and college students may fear participation in open source projects due to these preconceptions. […]
A school in India defies the traditional education model
by Michelle on January 5, 2018 at 8:02 am
The Tamarind Tree School uses an open education model to offer collaborative, innovative learning solutions to rural students. […]
Teaching open source graphic design is a learning experience
by JeffMacharyas on January 2, 2018 at 8:01 am
First-time instructor learns overcoming obstacles is the hardest part of teaching high schoolers. […]
27 open solutions to everything in education
by Don Watkins on January 1, 2018 at 8:00 am
Read the best articles published on Opensource.com in 2017 on how openness is improving who we educate and learn. […]
Top 9 Linux and Raspberry Pi education stories in 2017
by Don Watkins on December 25, 2017 at 8:01 am
We rounded up our most popular 2017 articles that showcase how education is leveraging the Raspberry Pi and Linux. […]