Latest News from TeachingOpenSource
- Trouble teaching Git? New tool to try! July 25, 2018 I discovered this interactive, online Git training tool: https://www.katacoda.com/courses/git and thought it might be of interest. The advantage (IMHO) is that students do not have to have anything other than a browser with an internet connection on their machine at all: no need for a CLI (or ...
- Sabine Wojcieszak’s Working in and with Free Open Source Software Course March 5, 2018 Sabine Wojcieszak, (Bologna POSSE July 2017), just published a blog post on her experiences offering a course tiled “Working in and with Free Open Source Software”. She describes her class and how she mastered being “productively lost”. Great job Sabine!! https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/being-productively-lost-experiment-teaching-open-tos-wojcieszak/
- Red Hat Honors Instructors Who Champion Open Source Education March 1, 2018 For the second year, Red Hat is honoring the work of higher education instructors who are committed to teaching the open source development process to their students. The majority of honorees are past participants in Professor’s Open Source Software Experience (POSSE). Launched by Red ...
- Next POSSE in Philly — applications open! February 20, 2018 The next POSSE workshop will be held June 18-20 at Drexel, in Philadelphia PA. For more info and application instructions: http://foss2serve.org/index.php/POSSE_2018-06. Applications are due April 6. SaveSave
- TOS Happenings at SIGCSE! February 17, 2018 If you’ll be at SIGSE, make sure to attend these Teaching Open Source-related sessions (use this quicklink while you’re there for easy reference: bit.ly/TOS-SIGCSE) Time: Thursday 10am Activity: Demo Session #1 Title: Teaching “Blinky Flashy”: Best Practices and Helpful Tips for Teaching eTextiles to a Wide Range of Students Location: Exhibit Hall Speaker(s): ...
- Jody Paul Teaches Software Engineering Practices February 4, 2018 Jody Paul (2017-11 POSSE alum) relates his experiences in the first two weeks of teaching 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices. We hope to hear more from Jody as the course progresses! “I’m the instructor for 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices, a senior experience/project course ...
- POSSE 2017-11 November 25, 2017 Another successful POSSE was held November 16-18, 2017 at Red Hat headquarters in Raleigh. Twelve new faculty members joined three POSSE alums (Josh Dehlinger, Robert Duvall, Howard Francis), four facilitators (Darci Burdge, Clif Kussmaul, Greg Hislop, and Heidi Ellis) and Gina Likins (of Red Hat’s University Outreach ...
- Hacktoberfest is on October 10, 2017 https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/ Hacktoberfest is a month-long celebration of open source software in partnership with GitHub. Submit enough pull requests and get a special T-shirt. It may be a good way to encourage students to participate.
- Handy IRC cheatsheet September 28, 2017 Thanks to Opensource.com for their handy IRC Cheatsheet: opensourcedotcom-irc-cheatsheet
Create and publish video with open source Kaltura editor
by Don Watkins on September 13, 2018 at 7:01 am
Learn more about Kaltura for your video editing needs. […]
How to use KA Lite to serve up educational content
by Don Watkins on September 3, 2018 at 7:01 am
Access a universe of material with this flexible, intuitive open source learning platform. […]
3 innovative open source projects for the new school year
by charlie on August 31, 2018 at 7:00 am
Start the school year on a creative note with these fun open source projects. […]
Add free books to your eReader: Formatting tips
by Greg P on August 24, 2018 at 7:01 am
Learn how to insert missing newlines when converting indexes from Project Gutenberg to your eReader. […]
Teaching kids Linux at summer camp
by Don Watkins on August 21, 2018 at 7:02 am
Middle school students learn how to make "broken" computers useful again with Linux and open source software. […]