Latest News from TeachingOpenSource
- Next POSSE in Philadelphia, PA at Drexel University! March 31, 2019 The next POSSE will be held in Philadelphia, PA June 17-19. All U.S.-based college-level faculty and instructors who teach computing are invited to join us! Join the over 175 instructors from over 150 academic institutions who are supporting student learning via Humanitarian Free and Open ...
- Next POSSE to by Hosted by City University of New York October 30, 2018 The next POSSE will be in New York City in January 2019. This POSSE will be hosted by the City University of New York and attendees will primarily be City University faculty. Faculty at John Jay College have graciously agreed to provide meeting space and ...
- Trouble teaching Git? New tool to try! July 25, 2018 I discovered this interactive, online Git training tool: https://www.katacoda.com/courses/git and thought it might be of interest. The advantage (IMHO) is that students do not have to have anything other than a browser with an internet connection on their machine at all: no need for a CLI (or ...
- Sabine Wojcieszak’s Working in and with Free Open Source Software Course March 5, 2018 Sabine Wojcieszak, (Bologna POSSE July 2017), just published a blog post on her experiences offering a course tiled “Working in and with Free Open Source Software”. She describes her class and how she mastered being “productively lost”. Great job Sabine!! https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/being-productively-lost-experiment-teaching-open-tos-wojcieszak/
- Red Hat Honors Instructors Who Champion Open Source Education March 1, 2018 For the second year, Red Hat is honoring the work of higher education instructors who are committed to teaching the open source development process to their students. The majority of honorees are past participants in Professor’s Open Source Software Experience (POSSE). Launched by Red ...
- Next POSSE in Philly — applications open! February 20, 2018 The next POSSE workshop will be held June 18-20 at Drexel, in Philadelphia PA. For more info and application instructions: http://foss2serve.org/index.php/POSSE_2018-06. Applications are due April 6. SaveSave
- TOS Happenings at SIGCSE! February 17, 2018 If you’ll be at SIGSE, make sure to attend these Teaching Open Source-related sessions (use this quicklink while you’re there for easy reference: bit.ly/TOS-SIGCSE) Time: Thursday 10am Activity: Demo Session #1 Title: Teaching “Blinky Flashy”: Best Practices and Helpful Tips for Teaching eTextiles to a Wide Range of Students Location: Exhibit Hall Speaker(s): ...
- Jody Paul Teaches Software Engineering Practices February 4, 2018 Jody Paul (2017-11 POSSE alum) relates his experiences in the first two weeks of teaching 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices. We hope to hear more from Jody as the course progresses! “I’m the instructor for 2 sections of Software Engineering Practices, a senior experience/project course ...
- POSSE 2017-11 November 25, 2017 Another successful POSSE was held November 16-18, 2017 at Red Hat headquarters in Raleigh. Twelve new faculty members joined three POSSE alums (Josh Dehlinger, Robert Duvall, Howard Francis), four facilitators (Darci Burdge, Clif Kussmaul, Greg Hislop, and Heidi Ellis) and Gina Likins (of Red Hat’s University Outreach ...
Certifications for DevOps engineers
by Daniel Oh on July 12, 2019 at 7:00 am
Establish your DevOps expertise and become more valuable in the job marketplace with these certifications. […]
Open education: There isn't an app for that
by charlie on July 9, 2019 at 7:00 am
Building classrooms that function as open organizations requires more than software. […]
How to be good at creating and maintaining systems at-large
by MikeCamel on July 4, 2019 at 7:00 am
A book review of "Building Evolutionary Architectures: Support Constant Change" for open source and security folks. […]
How a trip to China inspired Endless OS and teaching kids to hack
by Don Watkins on June 26, 2019 at 7:00 am
Matt Dalio, Endless OS founder and CEO, opens up on how his company is expanding digital literacy to all corners of the world. […]
5 transferable higher-education skills
by StephB on June 17, 2019 at 7:49 am
My transition from a higher-education professional into the tech realm was comparable to moving from a pond into an ocean. There was so much to learn, and […]