Latest News from Teaching Open Source
- POSSE in Italy a success! July 11, 2017 Gustavo Pinto, a participant in the recently completed POSSE held in Bologna, Italy, has written up a great experience report about the workshop. SaveSave SaveSave
- Teaching Open Source joins the Software Freedom Conservancy June 15, 2017 Software Freedom Conservancy is proud to announce that Teaching Open Source has joined Conservancy as a member project. Teaching Open Source (TOS) is a community of educators, developers, and organizations who create resources and document best practices for teaching free and open source software development, ...
- Live Coding – every Wednesday! May 18, 2017 We’ve heard that it might be useful for students to be able to watch someone live code — well, guess what?! We’ve found someone at Mozilla is doing it — every Wednesday at 1pm Eastern! Find the list of upcoming topics here, and check out ...
- In progress — POSSE in San Francisco April 22, 2017 We’ve been here in the downtown Google offices in beautiful San Francisco for the past few days, exploring how to teach open source and incorporate humanitarian free and open source (HFOSS) project work into computer science and software engineering classes. We even escaped being part ...
- POSSE Alumna Named New Hampshire TechEducator April 5, 2017 Mihaela Sabin, a 2010 Professor’s Open Source Software Experience alumna has been recognized as New Hampshire’s TechEducator of the year. Congratulations Mihaela!!
- Hunter College Students Learning About Open Source April 2, 2017 In the fall 2016 semester, in the Computer Science Department at Hunter College, computer science majors and a few non-majors were exposed to the concept of open source software, open data, and HFOSS. To the best of my knowledge (and I have been teaching there ...
- Open source job opportunities grow at crisis groups April 1, 2017 Interesting article about the needs and opportunities in humanitarian open source development (HFOSS) — yet more reason to incorporate HFOSS: Open source job opportunities grow at crisis groups
- November POSSE at Red Hat in Raleigh November 18, 2016 Another successful Professors’ Open Source Software Experience (POSSE) was held at Red Hat headquarters, in Raleigh, NC from November 16-18, 2016. Participants came from Eastern Michigan University, California State Long Beach, Howard University and more. In fact, the entire CS department from Berea College was in ...
- HFOSS Pathways Sprint January 8, 2016 Research has shown that students, and especially female students, are motivated by the ability to “do good”. Humanitarian FOSS (HFOSS) allows students to contribute to society while learning about open source tools and practices. The foss2serve team has received NSF funding to explore how to ...
Open Source in Education News from
Lucasfilm goes open source, DIY lab equipment, and more news
by michelleg on July 22, 2017 at 7:00 am
In this week's edition of our open source news roundup, we take a look at Lucasfilm's MaterialX Library, the CatBoost machine learning library, DIY laboratory […]
Top 5: dwm Linux window manager, why be a sysadmin, and more
by bcotton on July 21, 2017 at 6:00 pm
In this week's Top 5, we highlight sysadmin, graph databases, and more. Top 5 articles of the week 5. Neo4j and graph databases: Getting started read mor […]
Build a clock for your entertainment center with a Raspberry Pi
by ansilva on July 21, 2017 at 7:01 am
I'm a cord cutter—one of the many people who have canceled their expensive cable channel subscription and switched to cheaper, legal, alternative methods to […]
How to use Libraries.io data from millions of open source projects
by benjam on July 21, 2017 at 7:00 am
What if we applied the techniques Google applied to index the internet back in 1998 to the world of open source software? That's exactly the thought Andrew […]
A hands-on look at SparkFun's new Spectacle kit
by Cyanide Cupcake on July 20, 2017 at 12:30 pm
As an artist and technology teacher, I jumped at the opportunity to test out SparkFun's new Spectacle kit. Spectacle is based entirely around the idea that […]