From Teaching Open Source
 Project Name
 Project Home Page URL
 Tags for Your Project
downloads, verification, checksums, XML, CDN, file transfer
 Project Description
The Metalink Project is dedicated to improving downloads. We make it much easier for people, especially those in areas with inferior Internet connections, to download open source software. Metalink increases the effectiveness and efficiency of downloads by combining the speed, bandwidth distribution, and redundancy of an optimized hybrid mirror/peer-to-peer network, without any questions of legality, integrity, or safety.
The Metalink open specification has been adopted by over 40 programs, such as DownThemAll! (a Firefox extension), KGet (the native download manager of KDE), and many others. We promote the adoption of Metalink and coordinate the efforts of a small group of talented volunteers who program and troubleshoot new releases. We feel improving downloads is important since downloads are integral to distribution on the internet, especially with open source projects. A small investment in Metalink improves all the other projects that use it, such as KDE, openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, OpenOffice.org, and many others.
 Project IRC Channel Information
On the FreeNode IRC network: #metalink
 Project Mailing Lists Information
 Individual Mentor Contact Information & Their Areas of Expertise
Please contact the project on our mailing list for assistance in finding the right mentor for your area of interest or the mentor associated with an idea you like from the Ideas page below.
 Project Ideas List URL
 Mentor Capacity
- Students: We are interested in mentoring students who'd like to work on Metalink related projects.
- Educators: We're also interested in working with educators, particularly those teaching courses related to Free Software/Open Source and/or Networking/File transfer.
- We can provide some minimum in person mentoring in the following regional areas: Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA and San Diego, California, USA.
 Links to Information about Your Community
- Project Home - http://www.metalinker.org/
- Mailing List - http://groups.google.com/group/metalink-discussion
- IRC - #metalink on FreeNode