From Teaching Open Source
 Agenda: 24 April 2009
Meeting Time: 19:00 UTC
Meeting Location: #teachingopensource on Freenode
Irc logs: 24_April_2009_IRC_Log
- Scope of this Project
- Any Other Business
- Schedule Next Meeting
- Emmanuel Stapf (manus_eiffel): Eiffel Software
- Richard Boulton (richardb): Xapian
- Stormy Peters (storming): Gnome Foundation
- Borja Sotomayor (borja): PhD at University of Chicago - OpenNebula & Haizea
- Andy Edmonds (AEdmonds): HCI related research projects using Mozilla technology
- Stjepan Rajko (stjepan): android app for rehearsals, pattern recognition, synth
- Arthur Huillet (ahuillet): FreedroidRPG (isometric RPG), Nouveau, and Jato
- Jerome Jacovella-St-Louis (ESphynx): Ecere SDK, a GUI toolkit and more
- Ant Bryan (twanj): Metalink, improving download process
- Philip Olson (philip_): PHP
- David Garcia (vokimon_clam): CLAM, audio and music app framework
- (kmarsden): Apache Derby project
 Scope of this Project
lh's summary of the discussion:
- people want this project to be a useful resource for anyone who wants to be mentored to work on FOSS project
- people want us to also create space in the project for a repository of foss mentoring best practices information
- we need to talk about how to get the word out about this project (outreach section of agenda)
"With regard to audience for this project, I think the best answer is to make our resources useful to anyone, but focus on students/educators for now, as that's in keeping with the goals of TOS. With an eye to perhaps creating a sub/alternate project that focuses on the wider world of foss mentoring when we have critical mass or someone has the time/resources to manage that project."
lh's brief sumamry:
"first outreach foray is focused on students and educators. each project can decide which level of student or academic to work with/target outreach too. if you are interested in mentoring folks beyond these two groups, go for it but it's not our current focus for this project, though our collective resources will naturally help support these efforts"
- ideally, if we're contacting professors we'd do it in the next month or so, to catch them before they start planning for the next academic year.
Pages were created to come up with the best message to inform teachers and students about our initiative. They can be reached from here.
Didn't have time to discuss "Any Other Business"
 Next meeting
Next meeting will be scheduled in two weeks, probably dropping down to monthly meetings after that. Richard Boulton will arrange the meeting time for the next meeting.