- TOS Time! September 18, 2022We will once again be hosting a TOS Time. The event includes two things. For the first part of the event, our own Steve Huss-Lederman will provide us with an introduction to the Open Energy Dashboard project which he maintains. This project has supported involvement ...
- Event: 2022 UC Santa Cruz Open Source Symposium August 28, 2022The 2022 UC Santa Cruz Open Source Symposium will be held September 27-29, 2022. The event will be a mix of in-person, hybrid, and fully remote activities. Organized by the UC Santa Cruz Open Source Program Office (OSPO) and sponsored by the Alfred P. Sloan ...
- Raspberry Pi to Teach Math using Python August 20, 2022Don Watkins, who has a long history of using open source to educate in the K-12 domain, has an interesting article on How I get students excited about math with Python and Raspberry Pi. Its a great article both on supporting student learning as well ...
- Demand for Open Source Skills is Still High July 23, 2022Hilary Carter, vice president for research at the Linux Foundation spoke with The New Stack’s Makers podcast about the increasing need for open source developers. Hilary identified that open source program offices (OSPOs) can play a role in developing in-house capabilities. She also described ...
- Open Source is Running the World July 18, 2022MIT Technology Review has just published an interesting article titled “The US military wants to understand the most important software on Earth“. The article describes how Linux underlies most computation today and as well as an effort by DARPA (military research) to understand how open ...
- OSI and OpenLogic 2021 State of Open Source Survey December 29, 2021The Open Source Initative (OSI) and OpenLogic by Perforce have created a new survey to provide understanding of the state of open source software. The survey is open to professionals who utilize open source software as part of their work and seeks information related to ...
Blog posts from TOS Members
- POSSE is Back!!!by Heidi Ellis on April 14, 2022 at 11:58 pm
I’m so excited! After an almost 3 year hiatus, POSSE is back! We will meet May 24 and 25 at Nassau Community College […]
- Open and Online Educationby Heidi Ellis on January 10, 2021 at 4:08 pm
I really appreciate Bryan Behrenhausen. Bryan is a community architect in the Open Source Program Office at Red Hat. […]
- Open Source Community and Socially Distanced Educationby Heidi Ellis on December 29, 2020 at 11:11 pm
My Software Engineering class has come to a close and I’m turning my attention to the Capstone class this spring. The […]
- Leveraging COVID-19 in the Classroomby Heidi Ellis on July 12, 2020 at 6:46 pm
As the summer progresses, I’m finding a new rhythm to preparing my fall classes. It is clear that even though my […]
- Chatting with Studentsby Heidi Ellis on June 9, 2020 at 10:24 pm
The Western New England Center for Teaching and Learning is running a series of Zoom seminars on online tools that can […]
- 11th NSF Funded POSSE!by Heidi Ellis on March 31, 2019 at 9:50 pm
The foss2serve team hosted the 10th NSF-funded POSSE (Professors’ Open Source Software Experience) workshop in […]