- Demand for Open Source Skills is Still High July 23, 2022Hilary Carter, vice president for research at the Linux Foundation spoke with The New Stack’s Makers podcast about the increasing need for open source developers. Hilary identified that open source program offices (OSPOs) can play a role in developing in-house capabilities. She also described ...
- Open Source is Running the World July 18, 2022MIT Technology Review has just published an interesting article titled “The US military wants to understand the most important software on Earth“. The article describes how Linux underlies most computation today and as well as an effort by DARPA (military research) to understand how open ...
- OSI and OpenLogic 2021 State of Open Source Survey December 29, 2021The Open Source Initative (OSI) and OpenLogic by Perforce have created a new survey to provide understanding of the state of open source software. The survey is open to professionals who utilize open source software as part of their work and seeks information related to ...
- Deb Bryant gives TOS a Shout Out! October 13, 2021Deb Bryant, Senior Director, Open Source Program Office at Red Hat, mentioned TeachingOpenSource as one example community in her article “6 Examples Of Open Source Best Practices In Knowledge-Sharing Projects“. We’re in great company with the OSI, TODO Group, IEEE SA-OPEN, The Open Source Way, ...
- Linux Foundation 2021 Open Source Jobs Report October 6, 2021The Linux Foundation has just published The 2021 Open Source Jobs Report: 9th Annual Report on Critical Skills, Hiring Trends and Education. Open source continues to grow and some key observations include: 97% of hiring managers say hiring open source talent is a priority 50% of ...
- CROSS Symposium September 19, 2021On October 11-14, 2021, the Center for Research in Open Source Software (CROSS) will hold its 5th Annual Research Symposium — this will be a completely online event. Check out our preliminary agenda.Registration is now open. This year there is no registration fee.This four-day online Symposium will provide an opportunity to learn ...
Blog posts from TOS Members
- POSSE is Back!!!by Heidi Ellis on April 14, 2022 at 11:58 pm
I’m so excited! After an almost 3 year hiatus, POSSE is back! We will meet May 24 and 25 at Nassau Community College […]
- Open and Online Educationby Heidi Ellis on January 10, 2021 at 4:08 pm
I really appreciate Bryan Behrenhausen. Bryan is a community architect in the Open Source Program Office at Red Hat. […]
- Open Source Community and Socially Distanced Educationby Heidi Ellis on December 29, 2020 at 11:11 pm
My Software Engineering class has come to a close and I’m turning my attention to the Capstone class this spring. The […]
- Leveraging COVID-19 in the Classroomby Heidi Ellis on July 12, 2020 at 6:46 pm
As the summer progresses, I’m finding a new rhythm to preparing my fall classes. It is clear that even though my […]
- Chatting with Studentsby Heidi Ellis on June 9, 2020 at 10:24 pm
The Western New England Center for Teaching and Learning is running a series of Zoom seminars on online tools that can […]
- 11th NSF Funded POSSE!by Heidi Ellis on March 31, 2019 at 9:50 pm
The foss2serve team hosted the 10th NSF-funded POSSE (Professors’ Open Source Software Experience) workshop in […]