- Runestone Academy Receives NSF Grant! October 30, 2022NSF has a new program titled “Pathways to Enable Open-Source Ecosystems (POSE)”. The goal of the program is to “…harness the power of open-source development for the creation of new technology solutions to problems of national and societal importance.” I am happy to announce that ...
- DoD Prioritizing Open Source Software October 30, 2022The CIO of the U.S. Department of Defense, John B. Sherman, has released a memo titled “Software Development and Open Source Software“. This document identifies that The Department must follow an “Adopt, Buy, Create” approach to software which gives priority to open source software when ...
- TOS Time! September 18, 2022We will once again be hosting a TOS Time. The event includes two things. For the first part of the event, our own Steve Huss-Lederman will provide us with an introduction to the Open Energy Dashboard project which he maintains. This project has supported involvement ...
- Event: 2022 UC Santa Cruz Open Source Symposium August 28, 2022The 2022 UC Santa Cruz Open Source Symposium will be held September 27-29, 2022. The event will be a mix of in-person, hybrid, and fully remote activities. Organized by the UC Santa Cruz Open Source Program Office (OSPO) and sponsored by the Alfred P. Sloan ...
- Raspberry Pi to Teach Math using Python August 20, 2022Don Watkins, who has a long history of using open source to educate in the K-12 domain, has an interesting article on How I get students excited about math with Python and Raspberry Pi. Its a great article both on supporting student learning as well ...
- Demand for Open Source Skills is Still High July 23, 2022Hilary Carter, vice president for research at the Linux Foundation spoke with The New Stack’s Makers podcast about the increasing need for open source developers. Hilary identified that open source program offices (OSPOs) can play a role in developing in-house capabilities. She also described ...
Blog posts from TOS Members
How to add your blog to this list
- POSSE is Back!!!by Heidi Ellis on April 14, 2022 at 11:58 pm
I’m so excited! After an almost 3 year hiatus, POSSE is back! We will meet May 24 and 25 at Nassau Community College […]
- Open and Online Educationby Heidi Ellis on January 10, 2021 at 4:08 pm
I really appreciate Bryan Behrenhausen. Bryan is a community architect in the Open Source Program Office at Red Hat. […]
- Open Source Community and Socially Distanced Educationby Heidi Ellis on December 29, 2020 at 11:11 pm
My Software Engineering class has come to a close and I’m turning my attention to the Capstone class this spring. The […]
- Leveraging COVID-19 in the Classroomby Heidi Ellis on July 12, 2020 at 6:46 pm
As the summer progresses, I’m finding a new rhythm to preparing my fall classes. It is clear that even though my […]
- Chatting with Studentsby Heidi Ellis on June 9, 2020 at 10:24 pm
The Western New England Center for Teaching and Learning is running a series of Zoom seminars on online tools that can […]
- 11th NSF Funded POSSE!by Heidi Ellis on March 31, 2019 at 9:50 pm
The foss2serve team hosted the 10th NSF-funded POSSE (Professors’ Open Source Software Experience) workshop in […]